Sunday, January 30, 2011

Memoirs of a Geisha [2005]

Watched this on January 23, 2011.

This movie made me more in love with the Japanese culture. It made me appreciate the beauty and worth of a person.

My favorite parts of the movie contain the next lines:
1. "We do not become geisha to pursue our own destiny, we become geisha because we have no choice."
2. "Can't you see? Every step I have taken, since I was that girl on the bridge, has been to bring myself closer to you."


One of the best movies, ever. Just because the story is heartwarming and it's not melodramatic. It gives people like me, great insight to the lives of the private lives of the Geishas. Although the book was fiction, the story was realistic and insightful.

What i loved more about the movie was the accent of the characters. It gave depth of character (at least for me). The movie was detailed to the littlest details. The geisha make-up was realistic, i assume they were real geisha make-up. Sayuri's progress to becoming geisha was enthralling. It goes to show that Japanese culture take entertainment seriously. From food to people, art plays a big role in the culture.

That's why i love JAPAN! ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment